Saturday, April 2, 2016

Quilts, tanks and B-29s

I just got back from the Cleveland edition of the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo.  If you're a regular reader here, you are probably realizing that I like to unearth an unexpected story or connection to my textile art travels.

Here is this trip's history bit.  The event was held at what is now the International Exposition Center, next to the Cleveland airport.  The building was originally the General Motors B-29 bomber factory during World War II.  During the Korean War, it was the Cadillac Tank factory.  A proving ground was developed around the building for test the tanks.  Of course, now it is home to various trade shows throughout the year.  (I-X Center website

Much as I should be trying to sell my own fabric, I made a few purchases:


A small bagful of overdyed kimono silk scraps
Three small bags (three yards each) of assorted rayon ribbons
One Shiva oil paintstick
Two spools of WonderFil Eleganza perle cotton #8
Nearly two yards of a gorgeous flower trim, two different flowers in it.  The little orange ones are made from wooden beads!  No wonder it was $7.99 a yard.
Some thin ribbons in specific colors I need for a project
Three packs of Painter's Threads
A Ruffler - not a sewing machine attachment, the long wooden contraption in the center of the photo.  It makes a frilly strip out of thin fabric scraps for embellishing.  Suggested uses were garlands, flowers, garment edges.  Obviously, I am playing with it already, and I have some ideas of my own for using the ruffles.

I spent most of the day at the SAQA table, selling memberships.  Next year, I hope to be a vendor at this show.

A B-17, not the B-29s that were made in Cleveland.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment