Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fredericktown wrap-up

The year's first quilt show for me is now in the books.  Thank you to those who made purchases, now make something beautiful!  Sales were a bit light for me, but I received a lot of positive response to my hand dyes, especially the "Creative Kit" variety packs.  One color blend in particular has commanded a lot of interest:


I put this blend together as a winter color mix, but it seems to transcend the seasons.  I have been showing a 12" crazy quilt square in these colors and have had several offers to buy it.  I need the square as a sample idea for the Creative Kits, but I will now be making several to sell. 

I made a few purchases; some rayon Sulky thread to try out, and I finally secured a few men's ties to play with.  I have seen several crazy-type quilts made from ties and recently I've noticed some patterns for bags and for skirts that use them.  The wedge shape offers some intriguing design elements to larger art pieces, and I've been wanting to explore repurposing clothing into art quilts.  Right now, I am contemplating a pile of worn out blue jeans and the ties.  So many contrasts there - textures, fabric weight, plain versus pattern, dress-down versus dress-up...  this will be interesting trying to sew silk to denim.


No comments:

Post a Comment