Tuesday, August 7, 2018

In Ten Minutes

So, I have two little stitched pieces that I intend to be bases for some sort of embellishing.  I have not touched the pieces since I put them together last Wednesday.  I have though a lot about what I want to do with them over the past few days.  Many ideas for this project have flowed through my brain, and I keep coming back to putting a single flower on each one.  I picked a Joe-Pye-Weed flower head and placed it on one of the pieced back to see how it might look, thinking that I could stitch a portrait of the flower:

I want to do something with a day lily too, so I gave myself ten minutes today to come up with petals for that and leaves for the Joe-Pye-Weed:

All images copyright RPS

Yes, ten minutes, that is it.  I have not sewn the pieces yet, they will be raw edge appliqued.  I freehand cut the pieces, looking at the real things while I cut.  The orange for the day lily is silk dupioni that I dyed last summer with marigold flowers, and the green is a hand-dyed cotton gauze.  Now, I won't work on these again until the weekend.  I'll take them with me to a local art festival where I will be doing demos.  I should have both pieces finished next week, and I will document the time spent on them over the weekend.  How long do you think it will take me to stitch the leaves and petals down, stitch the stems and hand stitch the flower head for the Joe-Pye-Weed?

On Thursday, I will have some sort of of-the wall ramble here...

No comments:

Post a Comment