Thursday, March 22, 2018

Breaking the Rules

Today I resumed working on an art quilt that will definitely horrify traditional quilters.  Here is a detail of it:


This is a ragged old printed tablecloth that I covered with crayon rubbings of gravestone cravings, two shocking "violations" right there.  What self-respecting quilter would use a torn and stained tablecloth in a quilt, not to mention scribbling all over it with crayons?  I'm not stopping there with the upheaval of quilting rules, I am putting the tablecloth - a light value piece of fabric, over a black background!  So much for "work light to dark," this one is dark to light.

Now, my intent with this quilt is really not to shock the traditional quilters, or anyone.  I started this more as a challenge to myself to make something out of the worn-out tablecloth that I got stuck with from an auction box lot.  This is even more of a challenge for me as this quilt is the largest piece I have attempted.  It will finish at about 50 X 58, certainly not close to bed quilt size, but new territory for me.

1 comment: