Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What's in a Name?

Another short post, I have about three quarters of my tomato plants in the ground.  I grow strictly heirloom (open-pollinated) varieties, many of which have a long history of being passed from generation to generation of seed savers.  The varieties often have odd names, ones that just have to have a great story behind them: Mortgage Lifter, Kellogg's Breakfast, and so on.  Others were named after the people who grew them.  Still others are wonderfully descriptive: Golden Sunrise, Cherokee Green, Giant Belgium. 

As I develop signature color blends in my fabric dyeing, I have enjoyed coming up with intriguing names for them.  Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater are color blends inspired by my Route 66 journey and the names are some of my favorite stops on the trip.  I have several variants of a green/yellow/purple blend that take their names from New Orleans points of interest: Esplanade, Tchopitoulas, and the original blend is Mardi Gras. 

I am looking forward to thinking of equally evocative names for my art quilts as more come to be.

Next time, I'll show off the newest addition to the sewing machine collection.  It is truly a little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment