Thursday, May 12, 2016

A Not-So Successful Experiment

Not every idea turns out quite right.  Back in April, I went to have my taxes done, and while there, I got a bit of inspiration.  On the fabric that covered the cubicle walls, there was an interesting undulating pattern created by dashed lines.  The dashes varied in length, and I though that the overall pattern would make a great quilting motif.  So, today I attempted it, by machine.  I simply kept moving the stitch length lever as I sewed.  I used a vintage Singer 201 for the quilting.
Image copyright RPS.  Please do not post elsewhere.

I am pleased with the end result, however I don't think I will use it again.  It is too much trouble to keep moving the quilt as it goes through the machine (creating the wavy lines) and moving the stitch length at the same time!  It isn't so bad on a little 8 X 10" sample, but trying this on a bigger quilt, even a small wall hanging, is just a bit much for me.  Yes, I am one of those people who would have difficulty walking and chewing bubblegum at the same time.

The colors in the above sample also came from a surprising source: Neapolitan ice cream.  Working on the quilt has given me a terrific ice cream craving.  I will have to find something else to indulge in; the closest ice cream is ten miles away, and it is cheap, tasteless soft serve.  I can go without for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment