Thursday, September 27, 2018

Pumpkins!

I have not worked on the World War I poppy quilt in the past couple days, besides, I feel like writing something offbeat.  Lately, I have had pumpkins on my mind - palettes piled with pumpkins (and gourds too). 
Look at all of them!  I have been occasionally visiting a nearby produce auction to fill in gaps in my winter pantry.  The cucumbers for my great pickle canning binge came from this auction, along with other purchases of things I have not successfully grown myself.  I'd love to buy a palette of pumpkins, the variety of shapes, colors and textures are fascinating, even though I know they won't last long.  Some of them would be good eating, they would freeze well if I had room in the freezer.   

At this auction, the pumpkins are sold in large lots.  I could buy a bin of 50- 100-some traditional orange pumpkins, or a lot of 30 of the mix that you see above.  Of course, I'd want the mix of colors and textures of all the odd varieties.  What would I do with so many plain, boring orange pumpkins?  Well, what would I do with 30 warty, skinny, flat, chunky, smooth, blue, green, tan, and white ones?  I'd love them, save seeds from them for growing next year, and try to come up with a way to commemorate them in an art quilt.  Yet another idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment