Thursday, May 19, 2016

Running behind, again


The next few weeks are going to be a challenge for me; more things demanding my attention.  It is the time of year to get my vegetable garden going. I enjoy growing some of my own food, but it does take planning and a lot of nurturing, much like creating original textile art.  It is hard work, but it all is satisfying work.  I’m also sowing some wildflower seeds that I collected last fall, things that I can use for dyeing.  I want them in places where I may get to them easily, as opposed to trying to harvest flowers growing behind a thick hedge of thorns and poison ivy.   

I am now in possession of a 10x10’ pop-up tent for the upcoming art fair in July.  I also invested in a collapsible cart.  Everything I need for these shows has to fit into a subcompact car.  It is a hatchback, but it still doesn’t hold much.  Packing the car for a show is an amazing feat of creativity.  Tough decisions must be made about what items are absolutely necessary, and what can be done without.  Not a bad life lesson. 

I haven’t done any pictorial art quilts (yet), but I am envisioning a future piece that captures the image of my little car with all sorts of stuff exploding out of the back.  I’m thinking of a somewhat 3-D piece, with the trail of junk coming out towards the viewer.  I’ve got to get this one down in my ever-expanding book of ideas…

No comments:

Post a Comment